Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Second-guessing game

One of the best things about the offseason is i get to spend 5 months second-guessing every decision made by baseball's front office, as well as all of the teams. It's only been a couple of weeks, and already I've seen a bunch of stuff that I'm just not sure about.

First off, Jorge Posada's new contract.


Let me preface this by saying that Jorge Posada is a great player, he just plays for the wrong team. I wish he didn't play for the much-hated Yankees so that I could find it in my heart to truly like him as a player. That's basically how I feel about Derek Jeter as well, while we're at it.

The Yankees recently gave Jorge Posada a contract worth $52.4 million over 4 years, which apparently means that Jorge Posada is worth roughly 360 times to the Yankees what I am to my company.
Jorge Posada, while a great player, is a 36-year-old catcher. Catchers, historically, don't age well, and Posada is getting toward an age when all players begin to see a decline in their abilities (with one notable exception), not just catchers. ESPN's Keith Law mentioned this in his ranking of this year's free agents when he reached Paul Lo Duca, but for some reason seemed to overlook that fact for Posada, who is a year older than Lo Duca. I think Posada still has a couple more good years of catching in front of him. After that, I think that the Yankees had better hope that he converts into a solid first baseman.

I'll get to some more things in a later post.

No comments: