Monday, October 15, 2007

Who are the rockies?

The Rockies are going to win the World Series. They may never lose another game, for that matter. I think the Rockies and the Patriots will need to play in the spring to determine which is the greatest team in the history of sports.

So who the heck are the Rockies? I was watching the game last night and one of my friends literally did not know that there was a baseball team in Colorado.

I think some of these sports websites need to do some sidebar profiles on the Rockies. There have been a lot of stories about how hot they are and all of that, but most of them only make a brief mention of who they are and what they did throughout the season. Most of the team is relatively unknown aside from Matt Holliday, and even he is not exactly high-profile. Seems to me that it would be in the best interest of the various media outlets to try and get people interested in the players and make some sort of attachment.

As a baseball fan it's interesting to me to see two young and relatively unknown teams going at it in the NL, but I imagine that the casual fan is asking "Why should I care? Where's Derek Jeter?"

You could definitely do entire stories about the Rockies (and the Diamondbacks and Indians, for that matter) detailing who they are and what they did this year. Failing that, however, it seems obvious to me that they should be sprinkling their stories with player profiles and highlights. Stuff like that to make the readers feel some sort of connection to the team. All I see on ESPN is pictures and highlights from the current games.

Like I said, as a devoted fan of the game I am already interested in the series. However, I recognize that a more casual fan probably feels that they are not being given any reason to care about any team other than the Red Sox, and instead are just being told to care. As if the networks (TV, print, online, etc.) are saying "this is interesting. We won't tell you why it's interesting. Just know that you are interested."

On a somewhat related note, I'm not sure how to post pictures or video on my blog.
From a technical standpoint, I know how. I'll prove it later.
The thing is that the subject matter that I'm commenting on doesn't really have videos on the net that are able to be posted to a blog. mlb.com has a bunch of videos, but I'm pretty sure they all stay on their site. I will look into that though.
The same thing goes for pictures. They're all subject to copyright laws.
I can post pictures of random things i guess, but they may not be related to my subject.
Hmm...

No comments: